Oh my gosh, the requests I’ve had for this over the years puts this cake in my “Recipe Hall of Fame.” And Sharon G. just requested it again. Yes, it’s that good and perfect for your July 4 celebration of our nation’s hard fought and precious independence. I made the cake today on Fox 19 Cincinnati (check out the video) and it was, as usual, a real hit.
Rita’s cloned orange dreamsicle/creamsicle cake
A most delicious cake!
1 package (18.25 ounces) lemon Supreme cake mix
1 small package orange jello (3 oz)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon orange extract
1-1/4 cups orange juice
1/4 teaspoon unsweetened orange Kool Aid (optional but does add an extra layer of “yum”!)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray 9×13 pan with cooking spray.
- Place cake mix, jello, oil, eggs, and orange extract in mixing bowl. Blend. Add orange juice and Kool Aid and beat on low until well mixed. Increase to medium and beat a few minutes longer. The batter will be smooth. Pour into pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Don’t overbake.
- If cake humps up in the center, when you take it out of the oven, put a folded towel over it and press down with your hands. Viola – a perfectly even cake (what you are doing is pressing the air out). Let cool while making topping:
Pineapple cream cheese topping
- 1 can, about 20 oz, crushed pineapple, drained or not – whatever you like (undrained your frosting will be a little softer – we like it more firm so it’s a thicker topping, so I always drain it)
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3.5 oz package instant vanilla pudding
- Then fold in:
- 8 oz or so thawed whipped topping
- Spread on cooled cake and garnish as desired.
- Tip from Rita’s kitchen: Use canned/jarred mandarin oranges instead of pineapple.
2 thoughts on “Rita’s Cloned Orange Dreamsicle/Creamsicle Cake”
My husband and I made this for my Father-in-laws 94th birthday and he just loved it! So glad we found this easy-to-follow delicious recipe! This also gives me something to take into work on special occasions!
Again, so glad it worked out. It is a lovely cake! Congrats to Dad, too.