Matt P., a Columbus listener to my segments with Matt Swaim on the Sonrise Morning Show, Sacred Heart Radio, shared a family favorite: potato salad with a twist – tomatoes! This looks delicious. Matt told me: ” I love listening to you on the Sonrise Morning Show! I am a bit of a food nut, and especially enjoy food history. I am a nurse practitioner by training, but after work, I decompress by cooking supper for my family. We homeschool, and one of our projects this year was to plant a garden. Each of the kids chose a plant to care for. They researched it, shared it with their siblings, and they get to reap the harvest when the time comes. Such fun!”
Matt, you’re so right. Getting the kids involved makes them good stewards of the earth, as well. Here’s Matt’s yummy salad with homemade mayo dressing. Matt serves it on a bed of arugula or other greens.
Matt’s Tomato Potato Salad
* 3 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes cut into 1 inch dice and boiled in salted water until just tender
* 3 pounds of ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch dice
* 6 hard cooked eggs [ 3 sliced to be used as a garnish, 3 to be chopped (white parts only…save the yolks for the dressing) (I prefer the yolks to still be a little soft)…Trick (place a dozen eggs on the middle rack of a cool oven, set the oven for 325 F, and set the oven timer for 25 minutes***this includes the preheat time***. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking. Peal forthwith and enjoy. I use Jumbo eggs and they turn out perfect ever time. If the yolks are a little too soft for your liking, cook for an additional 2 minutes in the oven.
* 3 Tbs capers or more if you like. I love them so I add about a quarter cup…Drained but not rinsed
* 1 shallot finely minced
*3 egg yolks from reserved eggs
* 1/4 cup of sherry vinegar
* A good dollop of Dijon style mustard or Meaux mustard (which I simply cannot live without)
* 3/4 cup of the best olive oil you can find
* 1 clove garlic minced
* Salt and pepper to taste
* A few sprigs of fresh tarragon finely chopped (you could use basil if tarragon is not at hand)
Boil the potatoes until just tender. Drain and set aside. Core, peel (I have a good veggie peeler that works tremendously well), seed the tomatoes and cut into 1 inch dice. Slice the 3 eggs for garnish and set aside. Remove the yolks from the remaining 3 eggs and place in a bowl. Smash these with a fork. In the meantime, chop the remaining egg whites coarsely. Finely mince the shallot. Prepare the dressing and then place the potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Toss the warm potatoes in the dressing. Add the remaining ingredients and garnish with the sliced eggs on top. Serve at room temperature. Splendid dish!
Hope you get a chance to enjoy this. It is quite satisfying and speaks of the summer bounty.