Carol’s Turkey Carcass Soup
- 1 picked over turkey carcass
- 1 1/2 cups leftover stuffing
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 2 1/2 quarts chicken broth
- garlic salt to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups (uncooked) regular long-grain white rice
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen green peas
- Place the turkey carcass in a large, deep pot, and add the stuffing, celery, carrots, onion, bay leaves, poultry seasoning, sage, and chicken broth. Pour in additional water if needed to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium, and simmer for about 1 hour, skimming off any foam. Remove the carcass and any bones. Pick any meat off and return to the pot, discarding bones and skin.
- Season to taste with garlic salt and pepper. Stir in the rice and return to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower heat to medium, and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in the peas, and continue to simmer until rice is tender, about 10 minutes more. Adjust seasonings to taste.