Oh gosh, I’m making this right now. I’ll be sharing the recipe with buddy Ron Wilson on his radio show “In the Garden with Ron Wilson” tomorrow morning at 7 AM. His show airs on 55 WKRC Cincinnati.
A reader mentioned this on the NYTimes site, and I’m a happy girl right now. I give them full credit, including the delectable photo above by Evan Sung. Here’s the recipe as written along with my side notes.
Hot Chocolate with a Kick
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I’m using a bar chocolate that’s 3.5 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I’m using Nunaturals Dutch process)
- 2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- ⅜ teaspoon ancho chile powder, or to taste
- 1 ¾ cups whole milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream -
- 1 cinnamon stick – mine’s about 3″ long – you can use ground cinnamon to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Marshmallows or whipped cream, optional – I’m using cinnamon scented whipped cream
- In a medium pot, whisk together chocolate, cocoa, sugar and chile. Place pan over medium-low heat and whisk until chocolate begins to melt. Slowly whisk in milk, then cream. Drop in cinnamon stick. Bring to a simmer.
- Remove pot from heat. Cover pot tightly and steep 1 hour. Whisk in vanilla and taste for sweetness, adding more sugar if you like. Warm over low heat before straining and serving hot, with marshmallows or whipped cream if desired.